Brown Rice Spaghetti in Beet Greens Pesto
A fantastic immune-boosting, detoxing, nutrient-dense dish! Beets are currently in season, and this recipe makes good use of their often-overlooked leaves. Gluten-, soy-, egg-, and dairy-free!
- 1/2 cup Walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups (packed) Chopped beet greens (from 1 bunch beets)
- 3/4 lb Brown rice spaghetti
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup (packed) Parsley leaves
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tsp Fresh lemon juice
- Pink Himalayan salt
- 3/4 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- Organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Nutritional yeast, plus more for serving
- Heat a large skillet over medium and toast walnuts, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. Reserve skillet.
- Pulse cooled walnuts, beet greens, garlic, parsley, lemon zest, 2 tsp lemon juice, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper in food processor until finely chopped. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in 3/4 cup olive oil until a thick sauce forms. Add 1/2 cup nutritional yeast and pulse until well combined. You should have about 1 1/2 cups pesto.
- Bring the pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain. Reserve pasta cooking liquid in pot and set aside 1 cup liquid for the pasta sauce.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in reserved skillet over medium-high. Add 1 cup pesto and 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid; gently simmer, until thickened. Add the pasta and simmer until well combined. If the sauce is too loose, continue to simmer; if it's too thick, add more pasta cooking liquid and stir to combine. Season with 1/2 tsp salt, remaining 1 tsp lemon juice, and remaining 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Divide pasta among 4 beautiful plates, top with nutritional yeast and enjoy. So yummy!
- Pesto can be made and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- No beet greens? Use kale, chard, or arugula instead.
- Feeling fancy? Add asparagus to the mix. Trim and with a vegetable peeler, shave lengthwise 1 lb asparagus into ribbons. Bring them in the 4th step: sauté them before adding the pesto and mix all together for extra flavor.