Good for the Soul Curried Lentils
This is a perfect recipe for your (at home) Earth Day celebration that incorporates two of my favorite sustainable ingredients--lentils and kale! A delicious way to add more planet-friendly foods into your diet.
- 1/2 Yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups Organic vegetable broth (divided) or water
- 1 1/2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 Pink Himalayan salt, divided
- 1 tbsp Organic tomato paste
- 1 cup Organic coconut milk (full-fat)
- 3/4 cup Dry green lentils
- 1/4 head Cauliflower (chopped into small florets)
- 1 1/2 cups Kale leave (stems removed, chopped)
- In a pot over medium-high heat, sauté the onions with a bit of vegetable broth or water. Cook until browned, stirring, and adding more broth or water as needed to prevent the onions from sticking.
- Add the garlic, curry powder, garam masala, half the salt and tomato paste. Stir for one minute.
- Add the remaining vegetable broth or water, coconut milk, and lentils. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Add the cauliflower and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Stir in the kale leaves until wilted and season to your taste with the remaining salt. Divide into bowls and enjoy!
- Leftovers? Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- More flavor? Include a bit of cinnamon and cumin, maple syrup, celery, carrots, grated ginger, and/or bay leaves.
- Additional toppings? Dairy-free yogurt, parsley, brown rice or quinoa.